TYPO3 association and T3Pages
Well I guess everybody realised the current discussion in the community regarding the T3pages problem.
If not here are a short summary and the links to read more:
The german agency netresearch published a new directory for TYPO3 based projects (T3Pages). A part of the community dont like this seperate listing and were very upset. As reaction the TYPO3 association has engaged some lawyers.
- the website provides much more features than the typo3.com listing. Many of the features were asked for typo3.com in the past.
- everybody is free to start his own project of course
- we have a listing on typo3.com. To have two listings splits community. Now we have a conflict in the community :-(
- The color and the text gives the page an official character and supposed to be an official listing. This is not ok!
- some lawyers are involved which might is a bit over-the-top, but we dont know the details.
- the t3pages.com is not independent because it is maintained by netresearch.
- many of the listed pages were not asked before published there - this is of course a big problem.
Well this is difficult. On the one hand I can understand the association - because it is somehow obviously that the reason for this page is self interest - and thats not good for the community. And also in the past netresearch did equal independent campaigns (regarding "TYPO3 Anwendertag").
On the other hand: we have a free business rivalry, everybody is free to do what he wants. The reaction of the association is a bit over-the-top - I am sure there would have been other ways before.
Instead the community could answer with a new and better listing on typo3.com!
I would also like to say some words to the association in common:
- At first I like the association and appreciate theire work very much! And it is highly neccessary to have it!
- But in the past there were repeating critic regarding the decissions and the close structure: It is not possible to view the resources and the flow of the financial resources from the association. I think everybody who pays to the association should be able to have at least a rough overview over the money. I know some people who are not paying the community for excatly that reasons. Since the community grows and grows - maybe its time to think of this again.
- What about making it more democratic? Some regular and public elections withhin the association? Clear described positions?
- There is no way for the mass of the community to have some community decissions for the use of the resources. I don't know if this is relevant - but I think useful to motivate extra sponsoring.
- I at least know 2 cases where people or agencys liked to sponsor a relevant amount of money to the association and trying to contact the association for that reason in the past: There was no answer...
I would love to have a association which is a bit more open and transparent. I think this can help to keep the community together and hold the spirit.
I am sure we all love TYPO3 and the community!